Saturday, October 18, 2008

Magnifying my calling

when was the last time you made 87 sugar cookies?
Me... Oh I made 87 cookies tonight. It seems that while I was in Utah I missed a ward conference, in which the "activity committee" aka "me" was volunteered to be in charge of refreshments for an missionary/open house our ward is hosting tomorrow after church. Did I mention we didn't have a budget? I figure it gave me an excuse to make these delicious sugar cookies. I love them but don't make them unless I have a reason, because they make a TON.

Sugar Cookies (by Janet Hansen)

(this is the Utah version. If you are making these in South Carolina you need more flour and less milk. Mix until the dough is smooth and firm)

6 Cups flour

1 teaspoon soda

¾ teaspoon salt

1 Cup butter

2 Cup sugar

2 eggs

1 Cup buttermilk (I used milk with a little vinegar)

2 teaspoons vanilla

2 teaspoons almond

Beat together in large bowl sugar and butter. Add eggs and mix. Combined vanilla and almond with the milk in a separate small bowl. Alternate adding dry ingredients and milk beginning and ending with flour. Dough should be thick and soft. Wrap in saran wrap and refrigerate overnight, or at least 3 hours. Roll dough out in ½ flour and ½ powdered sugar to a ¼ inch thickness. Cook @ 350 for 8-8 ½ minutes. Do Not over bake. (Bottom of cookie should be barely tan)

Frosting:

Cube of butter

8oz cream cheese

6 Cup powdered sugar

Dash of salt

1 ½ teaspoon vanilla

1 ½ teaspoon Almond extract

Canned milk (to consistency)

~~I also updated this cookie post so it has the recipe on it!!~

4 comments:

Cindy said...

Ok, so you can't taunt us with the cookies pictures and not link the recipe! And for the record, I was right on Lyssa's nose. A mom knows her kid's nose anywhere! :)

Michelle said...

Sorry I will add the recipe to the post in just a sec. Do you want the last cookie recipe too? Because that one is SUPER easy.

And yes you do know your kids noses :)

grandma blair said...

YOU ARE AMAZING!! 87 COOKIES ALL BY YOURSELF!
I love that recipe, it is very good. Love ya!

Trint and Misty said...

Those look so yummy! Sugar cookies are my weakness. My favorite is the giant ones at Cutlers Deli. But man, yours look just as good!