Friday, November 21, 2008

Muffins another guessing game.

So funny story. We went over to another couples house from Collin's classes. They are from mainland china and cooked us a very authentic Chinese dinner. We were late and felt really bad about it and asked what we could make for them. Apparently the wife has fallen in love with muffins and buys them everyday. All they wanted was for me to make them some muffins. (Miriam in Collin's carpool told her I made good blueberry muffins, I think this may have had something to do with our invitation to dinner) anyway so here it is 12:00 at night and I am making muffins.
When I cook them for Collin and I, I use applesauce instead of oil to save on fat and calories but for her I made them with oil. Which got me thinking what exactly was the math. So Looking at the two different muffins one is made with oil and one is made with applesauce can you tell which is which? The apple sauce muffins will save you 38.5 calories and 4.5 grams of fat a muffin. They both taste delicious, the main difference I notice is that the ones made with apple sauce are more "spongy" but not in a bad way.


mmmmm either way they are delicious.


So do you think you know which is which?


I am revealing the answer below.....
Oil muffin 149.5 calories 5 g fat
Applesauce muffin 111 calories .5 g fat
Betty Crocker Red book recipe
Muffin:
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil (or unsweetened apple sauce)
1 large egg
2 cups AP flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup fresh, canned (drained) or frozen blueberries

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease bottoms only of 12 medium muffin cups
Make streusel Topping; set aside (recipe below)
Beat milk, oil and egg in large bowl with fork or wire whisk. Stir in flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt all at once just until flour is moistened (batter will be lumpy).
Fold in blueberries. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Sprinkle each with about 1 tablespoon of topping.
Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Streusel Topping:
1/4 cup AP flour
1/4 Cup packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons firm butter

mix flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in medium bowl. Cut in butter, using pastrey blender or crisscrossing knives (I use a food processor)

3 comments:

Le said...

I was right!!

Dave said...

That's crazy the difference in fat grams! I did guess right too, though.

grandma blair said...

I guessed right, but you are amazing, to be making them at midnight. You are quite the cook and mathamaticition. (did I spell that right)? Did she love your muffins?