Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Swine Flu


I have been getting asked my opinion about the swine flu a lot lately. Here are a few things that I have to say about it. 
The swine flu is just that, a flu. There have only been 2 confirmed deaths in the United States one was a chronically ill woman and the other was a young toddler, both in Texas. Though those deaths are a tragedy there have only been two and how many casualties do we normally have with our regular flu season. The flu is most detrimental to the extremely old, extremely young, or extremely sick. The thing that is scary about this flu is how fast it is spreading though out the world. Your best defense is a good offense... wash your hands and don't hang out with others who are sick, and don't worry too much about it
As for Masks.....
This is me in Taiwan at a local hospital. They made everyone wear one because it was "SARS" season. Masks don't prevent germs from getting to you very well, because the germs are too small. Masks are good when someone who is sick wears one. It keeps the sick germs that they have, from spreading as fast as they would without one. But you must admit they are sexy!! They do make masks that have a charcoal filter in them, those would be more helpful than these normal ones.
Speaking of illness in Taiwan, they do this cool "scraping" thing. I would notice many of my students would show up with the same pattern bruising on their neck and shoulders. I immediately asked what it was. When one gets sick with a cold or respiratory illness they will wipe Mentholatum on your shoulders and neck and then scrap in a downward motion.... scraping out the illness. I had to give it a try. I didn't notice any effect on me in regards to the small cold I was suffering from but I did notice the more sick you are the darker your bruises were. 
I love Chinese medicine.

6 comments:

grandma blair said...

That is amazing, I have never heard of it before, and it does look like it hurts. You are very brave.

Anna said...

thats freaking amazing. And thanks for your opinion now I know. I kept wondering, I wonder what michelle thinks about the swine flu. and I hate that picture of the girl licking the pig. GROSS
you know you love me

Cindy said...

Wow that looked painful. I don't think you can get swine flu from licking a pig nose, but it sure looks gross.

Michelle said...

For the record it didn't hurt. It looks like it hurts and i didn't believe other people when they said it didn't hurt but HONEST ;) it didn't hurt.

Brandon and Kassidi Bridge said...

Eek, still don't know if I'd be able to do it!

red said...

that almost looks as painful as eating that big squid from the street dude. You are WAY braver than i will ever be.