Sunday, June 14, 2009

Movin up

Collin and I got married in November of 2004, we moved into an SLC Avenues apartment almost 100 year old. We loved it, the character, the wood floors, the history. Unfortunately such an adorable apartment comes with a price and that is that we had to do all our dishes by hand, deal with rust coming through our pipes every now and then, a swamp cooler instead of central air, and taking our clothes to the laundromat.
When we moved to SC we felt like we had won the lottery :) we had central air, AND a dishwasher!! who gets that. . . oh.. most people anyway moving on. One of the down falls about our apartment was that we didn't have washer dryer hook ups, but when you have a dishwasher who cares? um... I eventually did. I hated having to find 6 quarters every time I needed something washed. Did you know most stores are rather protective of their quarters? because the are. Anyway a bit ago I asked our management if it was a possibility to get the hook ups in our apartment after a month or two of red tape and phone calls we were hooked up.
YEA!! Now to find a washer and dryer. Like most graduate students we went to Craig's list and found a listing from a guy named Gary. Gary is a washer dryer repair man turned salesman, and he has a garage full of used washers and dryers :). He gets them from who knows where, fixes them, gives them a warranty and sales them to people like us.
We picked out these beautiful Kenmore matching washer dryer set for the asking price of 170!! For an additional 20 bucks Gary delivered them and set them up. what a deal.
We got them yesterday and I have been washing everything, and loving every moment of it. I am not quite sure what Gary did to this washer and dryer but they work like they are brand new. My clothes are dry in 30 minutes!!! That beats the laundromat.
So here's to Collin and I moving one little step further up in the world, and here's to Gary the wonderful man that helped us get that much closer.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Cindy said...

Congratulations on your new arrivals. That will make life so much easier!

Suz said...

Oh I am SO jealous! Having a washing machine is heaven sent. I am sad thinking about our poor washer and dryer sitting in Grandma Heatons garage- but I am looking forward to the joyous reunion day when we will have WD hookups again! :)
Enjoy doing a load of laundry at 10:00 at night and leaving in the dryer just because you can for me!

Michelle said...

Suz, I already have ;)

red said...

I'm so excited for you!! And not everyone has A/C. But that's SOOO exciting. Now when Delilah barfs all over her bed in the middle of the night you can wash them and dry them before she's ready to go back to bed!! 30 min. is AWESOME!! Congratulations. You should probably have a party.