Saturday, September 12, 2009

Chaperoning...

I know I know another young women's story, but I wanted to share this.
Let me just start this post with a few bullet points about me.
I am 26 going to be 27 in December
I have not a Young Woman for a LONG time
The first activity I went to as a Leader was a stake activity, I hung on the wall just watching the girls and giggling to myself as they formed their little circles when a YW from another ward saw me and asked if I wanted to join their little pow wow. I declined and I later heard her asking someone if I was a leader or a YW.
A few activities later we went on splits with the sister missionaries. The sister missionary that went with my group thought I was a laurel.
A stake fireside we went to a stake leader came up to me and let me know just how happy he was to see all us youth there.
Those were funny experiences and since then I have tried to age up my look and act more like a leader when at activities.
Tonight we had a tri-stake dance, I was there as a chaperon. I noticed the young women stayed in their little circles near the wall so I went over and talked to them encouraging them to go dance. I don't remember what song it was but it was a "fast" song. So the YW's president , 2 young women and I went to the center of the dance floor and tried to get others to dance with us. I was only out there long enough to get some silly pictures (not posted on purpose, not very flattering, not that the picture posted is..) and all I really did when I was out there was jump up and down because that's what we did during fast songs when I was 16. Anyway I went back to the other girls only to be tapped on the shoulder a few minutes later by a YW. She asked me to come close to her , like she didn't want the other girls to hear what she was going to say. I thought she was going to ask me where the bathroom was or something like that. She quickly tells me "her leader asked her to come over and let me know when I was dancing my skirt came up a and showed my legs a little too much."
"um... okay, thanks"
Cool I'm 26 and still getting in trouble by Young Women Leaders. I didn't see that one coming.

3 comments:

grandma blair said...

That is too funny Michelle. I think it is neat that you are still considered a YW. Cute story.Glad you are serving there.

Mary Lou said...

Just enjoy yourself. Who cares if you're showing a little leg, it sounds like they need a little loosening up there in SC. I think it's great you look young!

Matt Linder said...

Like I've always said, I don't trust you.