Tuesday, September 29, 2009

marshmallow test

The marshmallow test is a experiment on deferred gratification. I had a head professor that loves this experiment, and we were always referring to it through my program. I found this video that was too cute to not share.

In the 1960s, a group of four-year olds were given a marshmallow and promised another, only if they could wait 20 minutes before eating the first one. Some children could wait and others could not. The researchers then followed the progress of each child into adolescence, and demonstrated that those with the ability to wait were better adjusted and more dependable (determined via surveys of their parents and teachers), and scored an average of 210 points higher on the Scholastic Aptitude Test.

4 comments:

Cindy said...

Those kids were so cute. That would be a fun experiment to try on my own kiddos :)

Lauren and Carter said...

my boss sent me this video...it's forever long but it is pretty darn hilarious. I remember learning about that study in high school, but about the same time I also learned that if babies walk before they crawl, they also have some sort of problem later on with being "adjusted" or something. Don't remember the particulars of what it meant because I walked before I crawled and so refused to believe that fact. And I bet you wanted that paragraph of random information.

red said...

That was adorable. What can I say red heads know a good marshmallow when they see one!! Do you know where the experiment was done (with that video?)

Michelle said...

I know the adorable girl who had it half eaten before the lady was out of the room. so cute.
I don't know where it was filmed.