Thursday, September 24, 2009

A trick I use

I truly hate when my house smells. I use to freshen my carpets with this...

I would get the pet ones because I thought they were stronger but I think they just have more perfume than the others.
I have been using this detergent for a while now for my clothes, I feel it does the job and it is one of the less expensive brands. One day I noticed every time I sat down near the couch it smelt bad, it took me a while to figure it out but I am guessing a drink was spilt on the floor and not dried up all the way so it had become stinky. I was out of the regular carpet cleaner so I used my laundry detergent.
It worked!! There is still a little bit of a fragrance when I use it but not enough to over whelm you, it makes your house smell like laundry.
Delilah was sick last Tuesday so our entire house smelt like "sick". Her room was the main area that needed "refreshing" but I didn't want strong perfumes in there, so I grabbed this.
Regular baking soda.
First I vacuumed her room then I sprinkled the Baking soda all over the carpet. I used the entire box, and could have used a little more.
Then I used a broom to brush/push the baking soda into the carpet, I do this until you almost can't see the baking soda on the carpet. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and picture dirt and other nasty stuff in my carpet being attracted to the baking soda.
Then I vacuum it up.
see sweet D looking all sick and sad, this is after her second bath in about 2 hours.
I vacuum slow so the vacuum has a chance to pick up all the baking soda. It is best to do this with an empty canister or new bag so you have full suction.
I have a cheap bag less vacuum from walmart that has been working really well for me. I love seeing all the crap I can get out of my carpet. oh but see how the baking soda isn't that pretty white anymore it's because it collects junk out of your carpet and helps it be sucked up.
So even though D was SUPER sick my house didn't smell like it. I did the rest of my house in laundry detergent so it smelt like "clean burst".
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Blake and Erica said...

Smart woman!!

Cindy said...

Thanks for the good tip!

red said...

You're so cute. That's a really really good idea. I haven't ever even considered that before. We get a lot of barf over here so we finally got a bissell portable cleaner. But it doesn't clean my whole house or make my carepts smell like sunshine. :)