Monday, January 4, 2010

sleeping arrangments

So last night around one in the morning I was trying to go to sleep. Something I struggle doing when Collin is away.
I kept adjusting and fidgeting but couldn't get comfortable then the thought came into my mind, "you can cross the line"
You see Collin and I have very different sleeping habits. He would love to snuggle, hold, and spoon all night long, you know very sweet and romantic like. I on the other hand would not like to do any of the above when I am sleeping. I mean I've been snuggled, held, and dragged around all day, by an toddler mind you, but still I would like a little personal space at some point in my day and I choose to claim it at night while I am sleeping.
Most nights we get in bed and snuggle all of about 90 seconds when I do the "roll over", at which Collin will attempt to follow me and move in for a snuggle. Depending on my mood I will either A. allow it for another 90 seconds or B. demand he get on his side of the bed. Now depending on Collins mood he will either A. get on his side of the bed or B. proceed to snuggle and love on me just to bug me, more than not it's B. (this my friends is what you get when you marry an oldest child) At which point I will get more annoyed while Collin revels in his accomplishment of bugging me and proceeds to try to "love" me.
It usually ends with me saying get on your side of the bed and don't cross the line. I don't know how many times I have wanted to draw a line down the middle of our bed and threaten couch time if he crosses it. He eventually gives in and will stay on his side of the bed with the occasional toe that creeps over to snuggle my foot which almost as a reflex I quickly pull away, only to just as fast return the toe stroke with a few of my own then quickly go back to my side of the bed.

I don't know why I have such a hard time sleeping when he is gone, I mean I should be sleeping better. Then like I was saying it was last night that I realized that even though he is gone, out of habit I am still only sleeping on my side (left hand side closest to the door, in case you were curious) of the bed. At this realization I decided to sleep diagonally across the bed. Who knows how I'll sleep tomorrow, maybe I'll sleep on his side just out of spite. :)

7 comments:

Lauren and Carter said...

Not sure if it's because he's the oldest child...Carter also tries really hard to do things just to bug me. :) I am sorry though Michelle, I hate sleeping without Carter and also don't do as well. Good luck...maybe his side is secretly more comfortable. :)

Anna said...

i'm right there with you on the space at bedtime. my dream bed is two twin beds that at a push of a button they spread apart so there can be no touching. :)

grandma blair said...

I don't know where you girls get that from, I love to snuggle all night. But then I am alone at night most of the time. I say the middle of the bed is the best place to sleep.

Mary Lou said...

I don't mind snuggling a little but when Wade leaves at 6 or so in the morning I move right into the middle of the bed and get the best hour of sleep ever!!

VJBlair said...

Hey I don't mind snuggling, but for some reason I just can't sleep as well. Eventually you have to separate so that you are not a zombie in the morning.

I understand about his being gone. Whenever I am alone at night I can't seem to get myself to go to bed. So I wait until I am dead tired before even trying.

red said...

I HATE being touched when I'm trying to go to sleep. We do the 90 second snuggle then bolt thing too. Maybe it's because we had to share beds when we were little. I do miss Lady though :) I hope you get some sleep tonight...I can't go to sleep if Daniel isn't there...mostly because I'm too afraid to turn off the lights...mostly.

red said...

be careful I bet his side is more stinky...