Monday, January 18, 2010

Soft Carmel Popcorn

I was organizing my photos recently and found I had taken pictures for a Carmel popcorn tutorial. This is the best soft Carmel popcorn recipe I have ever found. It's fool proof, super easy, and you don't even need a candy thermometer. This recipe has worked for me in Utah, Taiwan, and South Carolina, FOOL PROOF I tell ya!


I have to give credit to my mom for the sink trick. I grew up making popcorn in the sink and didn't think anything of it until I had to make it in a bowl and discovered how much of a pain in the butt it is. The bowl is always moving and to big to fit in the sink to clean. When I make it in the sink I just have to wash the sink, super easy!
*!*! So I just thought of something, in Taiwan I didn't make this in the sink because we had cockroaches that would climb up our drain. So if you have that problem maybe you should stick with the bowl, or make sure you plug your drain really good. *!*!

Soft Carmel Corn

1 ¾ Cup brown sugar
1 Cup karo
1 Cube butter
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 Tsp vanilla
4-5 bags of microwave popcorn (fat free to butter lovers can be used)

Bring brown sugar and karo to a boil for 4 ½ minutes. Then add butter, milk, & vanilla and bring to a boil again.
Pour over popcorn.

2 comments:

Max said...

Making Popcorn in the sink, how redneck is that?
Anyway, it was surprising to see you put it in bags for storage?!. You have to store leftover homemade carmel corn? Leftover?
If any of the kids are here, we usually finish it right out of the sink!

red said...

I believe I remember eating that over and over and over and over the last time you made it. Someone made a giant batch of it and put it in a giant bag and i would sneak some EVERY sinle time I was at Mom's. MMMMMMMM.....I might just be brave enough to try that one :) HURRRY HOME!!! One more thing to make for me when you get here :)