Friday, February 19, 2010

it's in my head

I can't sleep tonight, and I know I should because I have a busy day planned for tomorrow but I keep tossing and turning. I don't know about you but when I can't sleep I try to clear my mind of any thought, I am usually interrupted with "Hey I'm not thinking, ...crap". If you haven't tried it before you should it's difficult and usually helps me fall asleep but not tonight. Tonight as I try to clear my mind a song popped into my head. This isn't just any song this is my go to song. You know in primary when you learn that you should always have a song ready in case you have a bad thought, or are scared so you can sing a song and feel better. Mine is

I know who I am,
I know God's plan.
I'll follow him in faith.
I believe in my savior Jesus Christ.
I'll honor his name.
I'll do what is right.
I'll follow his light.
His truth I will proclaim.

I love this song, I love that it is one of the basics we learn as youth and I love that it is a perfect testimony, a testimony that I have, when I think of this song it strengthens my testimony.

Since I've been in Utah I've been comparing my LDS UT/SC experiences and recognizing a lot of differences like being able to buy church paraphernalia in Wal Mart, LDS movie billboards, using the terms mission, MTC, companion, nursery, Relief Society, Young Women,or mutual in conversations and not having to explain it. Obviously the church is the same in SC, that is what is awesome about the gospel, no matter where I have been the people are different but the gospel is the same, the church culture may vary but you know you can usually count on funeral potatoes and ugly ties on missionaries.

Speaking of this song and living in Utah I can't help but think of when I worked on Campus and the University of Utah. I love the people I worked with and many of them grew up in Utah just like me so we had a lot in common. I worked with about thirty to forty people and I would say 90% of us were raised in the church but only, three of us were active, knowing Utah that is a shocking percentage, but knowing the U not so shocking.

I was in primary at the time that I worked there so I always had primary songs in my head. One day I was humming one and my co worker said
"that sounds so familiar, what is it?"
"um... (looking slightly embarrassed) I belong to the church of Jesus Christ"
"Oh, with a slight chuckle"

One day I was telling my co workers about "scripture power" the new song we had learned, and telling them how it was so cute and the kids get so into it. They agreed but about a hour later I would hear.
"I hate you Michelle!!", and their itunes would soon come on.
These wonderful coworkers, who have not been affiliated with the church in decades would get these sweet, celestial primary songs stuck in there head. Because we both know they had a great chorister who played games with them while teaching them "book of Mormon stories" or "A Child's prayer".
After this happened it was on!!
If they made me wait too long in their office, or were teasing me, or I wanted them to go away, I would just hum, or lightly sing my basic primary songs. You know popcorn popping, once there was a snowman, give said the little stream and I would usually get a "seriously... ahhh it's going to be stuck in my head all day now". They were never "mad" at me but I loved tapping into their sub conscience and finding there memories from growing up in primary. There are certain things you can only do in Utah and I think this is one of them.
I on the other hand love that the primary songs are my default songs. I know when I have a bad thought or need to clean up my mind it is always "I belong to the church of Jesus Christ" and if I am sad, or scared with out fail "a child's prayer". I am not ashamed to admit children songs often are in my head. They help me and give me strength when I need it most. Sometimes I feel that is how the spirit whispers to me through a sweet melody of a familiar song. I think teaching our children these songs is one of the best gifts we can give them. I love that when I am tired or scared or bored I get the reminder that
I know who I am,
I know God's plan.
I'll follow him in faith.
I believe in my savior Jesus Christ.
I'll honor his name.
I'll do what is right.
I'll follow his light.
His truth I will proclaim.

4 comments:

grandma blair said...

I love that you have a primary song stuck in your head. I have them all the time. I love the new song we are learning in primary this year. "A long time ago in a beautiful place, children were gathered around Jesus, ......
I love the tune and when I can remember all of the words, I love the words too. I think it is neat that we have good things in our heads.

Lauren and Carter said...

I love Primary songs with all my heart. I use them all the time. I loved that post, thanks.

red said...

That was very sweet. Michael's is I am a Child of God. he gets all cute and nervous when we sing it. He sometimes randomly asks to sing it in the car...or at Wal-mart. Daniel does the same thing only it's horrifyingly annoying because he manages to put some kind of terrible words in there and turn the primary song into something ridiculously violent. (I guess that's what he learned during singing time :) I'm glad you have them to help keep you happy. They're super cheap at the distribution center. We listen to them on Sunday or when Michael won't stop hitting his sister. Remember when Mom would play them for us at night?

Cindy said...

I LOVE that song your mom is talking about. It is so sweet and pretty. I cry almost everytime I sing it. I like Janay's idea to play them at night too, I want to do that for Mayzie. Thanks for this great post. Glad to know I'm not the only one with songs in my head :) Thanks for a fun visit today. I'm glad you guys came, but sad I didn't get to make you cookies. I really wanted an excuse to use the new mixer :)