Thursday, May 13, 2010

Mothers Day Presents

I forgot to show off my mother's day present. Now let me fill you in that Collin has struggled in the past picking out presents for me. He easily forgets that I have a much simpler taste and prefer fairly simple things. He has been known to spend WAY too much money on gifts that I can't appreciate because I don't know name brands. Like when he bought me a dooney and bourke purse or a hobo wallet, both of those presents he had to explain why they were such nice presents (in his defense I do love that wallet but it's on the simple side, I will have to post a picture of it sometime). Now don't get me wrong I do love pretty things I just like simple pretty things. Over the years he is starting to figure it out or maybe I have figured it out that I need to just tell him what I want. Like I did recently.
Ever since I had Delilah I have wanted a simple wedding band to wear. I love my wedding ring, it just isn't very practical. It has little grooves that collect food when I'm cooking and I don't know how many times I've scratched Delilah with it. When it catches on certain fabrics it immediately causes a run. So all I've wanted was a simple band, and this mothers day I got it, and I LOVE IT!!
Thank you babe.
For my mom and MIL I made necklaces with a stamped pendant that said "MOM" on it with a heart charm. I'm not sure why I didn't take a picture of them, but I thought they turned out cute.
It was a project I have been wanting to try out for I would guess about six months. I have I think about ten tutorials booked marked trying to figure out what exactly I need to do make one. Most of the tutorials call for washers from the hardware store as the blank pendant. Simple and cheap, I can do that.
Well I bought the washers and the stamp set and got to work.
I failed! They looked terrible!
I'm not sure how all the other ladies can make them look nice but I couldn't pull it off. Luckily Hobby Lobby carries these blank pendants which are a lot thinner than hardware washers and I feel look cleaner and a look more like "jewelery" and a little less like "I this bought at home depot and stamped it". When I went looking for more blank pendants I saw these cute tiny pendants and made this necklace for my self.
Ps Most of the time I forget I have freckles and then I see a picture like this and think
"oh yah, most people aren't covered in spots are they?"

7 comments:

Suz said...

Way cute necklace- I have been wanting one like that for awhile now. Was it hard/expensive to do on your own?

Eve said...

Beautiful work! And Collin did a very good job with your band. I totally get what you mean - I am always afraid my diamond is going to scratch my kids (it has a few times). I wear a band most of the time because of that (and the fact that my fingers are bigger now than when we got married).

Jody and Alex said...

I love that necklace-your so talented!

Michelle said...

Suz it was easy to do. I was going to do a post on it but it won't be for a while because all the stuff is in Michigan. Here is what it cost though.
1/4" stamp set 5 bucks harbor freight
pack of 4 pendants 2.50 hobby lobby
then you need a chain, a hard surface, a hammer, and a sharpie.
this is the tutorial I used

http://theidearoom.blogspot.com/2010/04/stamped-initial-necklaces.html

Max said...

Chellie,
Mom loves her necklace and wears it all the time. She didn't even know at first you'd made it. So, now it is even more special.
We love your freckles. They are you!

Mary Lou said...

I love my necklace Michelle, you're so creative. I also have that same realization with my freckles - sometimes it's downright shocking! I was with Collin when he bought your ring, he was a man on a mission. He was very proud of himself, I'm glad you like it Michelle.

red said...

Oh and I think you got some major points for the mothers day necklace. Mom has said to me like six times "did you see what Michelle gave me? did you know she MADE it?" And your freckles are awesome. At least you don't have a bazillion of them on your shoulders. some day when our bodies are celestial they better freaking be gone :) Love your ring.