Thursday, July 15, 2010

Sheets for D !!Updated!!

Ever since I saw this post on Made (my favorite craft blog) I have been dying to make D new sheets. Cute crib/toddler sheets are impossible to find and I don't think you can find top sheets for them.
The other day JoAnn's was having a big sale so I bought 4 yards of this cute pink polka dot. Last night I didn't feel completely terrible so after D went to bed I whipped her up some sheets. They probably only took an hour a sheet (most of the time spent ironing). I had the TV on while I was doing it, and had to take a cold cereal break, so I'm sure if I was 100% focused on it I could have been faster.
I am so happy with how they turned out!! I ran out of fabric for a pillow case so I still have that to do but it can wait.

Made has a tutorial for the fitted sheet and I winged the top sheet. Collin HATES top sheets but I LOVE them, so I wanted to make sure D got exposed to them at a young age so she can also fall in love with them :).
and she does!!
I'm tempted to make another set now, and I know as soon as we find out the gender of this baby I will be making a few crib sheets for him/her.


UPDATE: I've been asked by a lot of people How I did my flat sheet. I literally just winged it.
I took 2 yards of fabric ironed it nice and flat.
For the bottom of the sheet fold over 1/4 inch and iron then fold it again 3/4 inch then top stitched it. Make sure you catch the 1/4 inch that you folded over so you don't risk frays popping out.
For the sides:
Because I used the full 2 yards both sides of the sheet were selvage so I just folded them over a 1/2 inch and top stitched.
For the Top:
Fold over 1/4 inch, then 3 1/2 inches, top stitch over the top of the sheet and the folded over part making sure to get the 1/4 inch that is folded under so it won't pop out and fray.
Really the top sheet is just fold, iron, fold, iron, sew. Good luck!!

11 comments:

dana said...

cute! They turned out great. Thanks for sharing with me!
- Dana

Eve said...

I love the top sheet addition. And hello! You have a comment from DANA? How excited are you right now?

grandma blair said...

they are so cute, I love the polkadots.

Michelle said...

I know Eve!!! I'm a little star struck right now!! I put a link saying I made your tutorial in her comments and with in about 20 minutes she commented. She is so much cooler now!!

Betsy said...

Super cute Michelle. And don't you just love a good cold cereal break? That is all I lived on with Edders.

Cindy said...

I love that you can just "whip up" some new sheets late at night. Cute ones are hard to find!... at a good price anyway. These turned out really cute! Trying to make the fitted sheet would intimidate me though :)

Mary Lou said...

Who would have thought you could make sheets, and completely adorable ones too!! I'm impressed Michelle.

Suz said...

WOw- so cute!! Someday I hope to be crafty like you!!

Kim said...

Was wondering where you got 45" wide fabric..i bought 2 yards,like the original pattern called for, but it is regular quilters cotton, which is not that wide.
I even looked at seersucker, and that is not wide enough either.
before i start cutting, i was curious as to what kind/width of fabric you used? Thanks,Kim/Mi

Michelle said...

Kim,
This fabric was just plain cheap cotton at Jo-Ann's. Sorry you are having a hard time finding fabric wide enough, I wish I could help more. Good Luck!

Brownesjr said...

Love the top sheet addition to Dana's fitted. I am off to make some Lightening McQueen sheets for my son for Christmas. I am so hoping the fabric is wide enough once I measure it out.
If not, I think I may just add a contrasting casing serged around the outside seam to make up the difference.