Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Chicken Enchiladas

You know those good enchiladas that have sour cream, onions, chicken, green chilies and tons of cheese in them? Yah these aren't them but they are still pretty tasty.

I got the enchilada sauce recipe from Anna (my sister) who got it from Lacey (my cousin). I was casually chatting (online, heaven forbid I ever actually use my phone) about dinner when Anna told me she had a good enchilada sauce recipe. After I swore at her for not sharing it earlier she gave it to me. I've been looking for a perfect enchilada sauce recipe for a few years now. How selfish of her to keep such valuable information from me. Are you guys holding out on me too?! So help me you will get a ear full if I find out about it.

Enchilada sauce
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Teaspoons ground cumin (If you know me you know I used more than that)
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup tomato paste (Anna told me after I made this she used canned tomatoes because she hates paste, then reduced the water, BRILLIANT!!)
1 can reduced sodium chicken broth (I like reduced sodium so you can salt to your taste)
3/4 cup water
Coarse salt and pepper to taste

In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add cumin, flour and tomato paste; cook while whisking for about 1 minute. (I let the cumin toast a little in the oil before I added the other ingredients, it brings out the flavor a little more. Just simmer it until the oil takes on the color of the cumin, not long at all) Whisk in broth and water; bring to boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook until slightly thickened, about 5-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper (I also added a little more cumin here).

My actual enchiladas were on a 6 inch flour tortilla (you could use corn), cheese (reduced fat), black beans, and grilled chicken inside of them. I rolled them up and put them in a baking dish smothered (such a delicious word) them in the enchilada sauce and a little sprinkle of cheese and baked in the oven at 375 degrees for about 15-20 minutes. The Spanish rice was rice a roni, it's one of my few cheats when it comes to cooking. I have a good recipe for Spanish rice but it takes time and rice a roni is so fast and still delicious. I did skip the toasting the rice in butter step to cut out the fat.




2 comments:

Anna said...

If only I could tell you what she said to me. :)
I'm making this for dinner tonight. The sauce is just as good if not better than red sauce at restaurants.
Sorry you had to wait shell. :)

Beth said...

I have a good mexican rice recipe that's quick/easy (we really like it - that includes my picky kids):

Easy Mexican Rice
Printed from COOKS.COM
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
1 cup of long grain rice
2 1/2 cups cold water
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
3/4 cup of tomato sauce

In a skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add rice and cook until lightly browned. Add water and remaining ingredients, bring to a boil.
Cover and simmer until rice is tender.

(I do it in my skillet, so it's perfect, but in a regular pot on the stove it's sometime too wet for me, so you might decrease the water if you're doing it that way...experiment...i know you will.)