Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Gallbladder schmallbladder


So last weekend I started getting a serious pain in my side. Come Monday a trip to the doctor then the doctor sending me to the ER I discovered I have some gallbladder "sludge" or "gravel" basically the beginnings of stones. The current plan is to be monitored by a surgeon through out my pregnancy and treat with diet. We are hoping I can make it through the pregnancy with out having to have it removed. The way to do this is to have a very low fat almost fat free diet.
At first I was bummed (okay a little devastated), I'm pregnant and can't eat hardly anything. I'm starting to use my nutrition background and figure out what I can and can not eat and how I can eat my favorite foods or at least what I am currently craving. I think the biggest adjustment is going to be we can't eat out. On Monday we were in the hospital for about 6 hours, we had to get cleared by OB before we could go to the real ER. I had skipped lunch and both Collin and I were starving but where do you get fast food at 9:30 at night that's fat free. (If you can think of a place let me know) We ended up going to Wendy's and I got a baked potato with no toppings and a garden salad with no dressing.
Anyway this post is to tell you of upcoming posts. I've decided that I'm going to challenge myself and make foods I love and just tweak them so they are Fat Free or very low fat. When I make a meal I am particularly proud of you're going to see it :) It's mainly for me but I figure maybe someone else out there would like to give the fat free / low fat diet a try and want some ideas.

6 comments:

Anna said...

I'm sorry you have to deal with this! doesn't sound fun or exciting! Hope you come up with some amazing meals, and when you do you know I will copy them!

Blake and Erica said...

Your food always tastes amazing :D. Fat or No Fat. Hope U r feeling ok.

grandma blair said...

I am ready for some low fat yummy foods. bring them on. Hope you feel better

red said...

I'm so sorry. You're the awesomest person ever you can do it! By nature of my husband and son's likes and dislikes our dinners are usually pretty low fat. I'll email you a list.

~Diana~ said...

Stay away from cucumbers. They are really gassy foods and do not mix with gallbladder issues. I had mine out almost 5 years ago.

heidi said...

I am also sorry to hear about this. But, I am being optimistic and know that you will not have to get it removed. Let me know what I can do for you. I am also glad I read this because I was going to return your plate with cupcakes, but now I will not. Cheri and I need to come visit you. Next week is what we have in mind, so let me know what day/time works best. And,we can swap recipes, I have decided I need to change my eating ways and so i have been on the hunt for low fat healthy food that still tastes good. So we can swap recipes. BTW, congrats on the boy, that is awesome!