Thursday, September 2, 2010

Oven baked fries

Okay I've made oven baked fries before but they always kinda sucked. These were AMAZING and my favorite part of the meal, oh and super easy.
First I cut them up then immediately stuck them in a bowl of salt water. I let them soak for about 10 minutes before I took them off and set them on a towel to dry, where I then patted off the remaining moisture with another towel. Next I prepared the baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and sprayed it very lightly with canola oil. I put the fries on the pan and gave them another light misting with the oil {I used two pans so the fries didn't touch each other}. If I had to guess I would say that all the fries got a total of 1 teaspoon of oil, if that, I was quick with the spray.
I baked at 450 for 10 minutes then flipped them and let them bake for another 10 or until they had a pretty golden brown to them. After they came out I put them on a plate and sprinkled them with salt. They were perfect fries and not greasy at all. I don't know if it was because they were fresh potatoes from a farm or if the salt bath really made them all that much better. I can only assume both played a roll in them because Collin, Delilah, and I couldn't get enough of them. I'm happy I only made two potatoes worth or we would have been sick. {we didn't even dip them in ketchup}
The chicken breast all I did was put a steak seasoning on it then grilled it on my George. The rub was a little strong for me but Collin loved it, and that always makes me feel good.
The Corn was just boiled until done, and topped with "I can't believe it's not butter" spray.

I felt this was a good low fat meal and we all enjoyed it so that makes it a winner in my book. The fat came from the small amount of oil on the fries and the natural fat in the chicken which I only ate half of because I'm not digging meat right now.

3 comments:

red said...

mmm.....

Betsy said...

We tried your oven-baked fries last night and they were a hit. Very tasty and very crispy.

Le said...

Try a little paprika on the fries. Yummy.