Sunday, September 12, 2010

what makes me happy

Our ward had an international dinner this weekend where everyone was suppose to bring a potluck item from their native country, where they served their mission or lived for a period of time. I was feeling lazy and not much in the mood to cook Chinese food so I made funeral potatoes (and you know I didn't skimp on the cornflakes) labeled from "Utah". I put it next to some Asian dumplings and fried plantines. I also made green JELLO but it didn't set up in time. My gallbladder ended up acting up because I had to try everything.
But I really wanted to share with you a little thing I do every time I make food for a party or pot luck. It isn't something I should really be proud and I probably shouldn't be sharing it publicly, but I keep an eye on my dish to see if people are eating it. If my pan is empty at the end of the night I feel like a winner, if it isn't empty I will never take that dish to a pot luck again. This part is really bad, I especially love when I set my pan next to another pan of the same dish and mine is gone and the other pan isn't. I know, I know I'm a bad person.
Here is the pan I brought home last night. I wouldn't say it was a huge win but considering the serving utensil was a pie knife (only thing left in the kitchen) it's not too bad, but I've done better.
Am I alone in this or do you guys do the same thing?

8 comments:

VJBlair said...

you are definitely not alone. I do the same thing. Whenever I have a potluck I ask myself, "what would make really good leftovers?" That way if no one eats it, I have a great snack for a while.

Eve said...

I am totally competitive this way. If I have leftovers I just think to myself that everyone is dumb not to eat my yummy food. ;)

red said...

I always ONLY bring jello, because I'm lazy. mmm....funeral potatoes...I used to do that with stuff but my oven sucks so I just make stuff that doesn't require effort. Some day though :)

red said...

and I would eat anything you made. Even if it was all weird and foreign :)

grandma blair said...

I have to admit, I do the same thing. It is an ego booster when you actually get complements on your dish

Andrea said...

So I have to sound off somewhere and since my in-laws read my blog, I'm afraid you're my outlet Michelle. I made a jello salad for the family dinner last night and it didn't get touched! Deven and I were the only ones who ate it. I spent forever making it and I just felt stupid. I wish I could blame it all on a jello weird factor, but it was peach jello with peaches, topped with vanilla pudding and then cool whip. I didn't think I could go wrong, but I sure did. I'll never make jello for them again! PS- I would've considered your funeral potatoes a success.

heidi said...

I echo eve's comments completely!

Michelle said...

Andrea I'm sorry to hear about your Jello. It sounds delicious to me!! I made the mistake of making eggplant parm for my in-laws. Let's just say they prefer meat and potatoes.