Sunday, October 3, 2010

my hair

Since we're talking about hair....
(2008 4th of July)

Since I've moved to Michigan I have noticed something a little odd. When people tell me how beautiful Delilah's hair is they refuse to call it red. They usually will ask something like does your husband have this same hair color and I will say no but we have red on both sides of our families.
"Oh it's not red, it's copper" .....or insert ginger, auburn, strawberry, or some other knock off name for red.
It's like they are being PC with my hair. Um... are you correcting me on what shade of color my hair is? I know my hair is starting to darken but I think it's still pretty red, especially in the summer.
I'm confused... Do some redheads find the term "redhead" offensive? I've never been ashamed of my hair color or the name "red" and I don't think my redheaded siblings have been either, but i'll have to ask them. In fact I've never met a red head who has corrected me when I say they have red hair. I've never been fond of the name "carrot top" but I mean... look at the man who wants to be put in the same category as him?
My hair color has always been a topic of conversation with strangers especially in those awkward situations like elevators, waiting rooms, or whenever elderly men are around people bring it up.Yet this is the first time I have ever been told by so many different people so many different names for the color of my hair.
I recently had a painful conversation with an older woman about how she had a grandchild with red hair because her blonde daughter married a dark haired man and that's how you make a red head.
People it was useless to try to explain to her how it is actually the most recessive hair color and how one parent either needs to have a strong red gene or both parents need the gene present to get a red head and even then most the time the red gene loses. I explained it simply to her and politely but then she asked me if my husband had dark hair. I said no he is blonde but has a red beard and his mother has red hair. Her response "oh, I wonder where your daughter gets it from then?"
ARE YOU SERIOUS!!! AM I WEARING A HAT??

11 comments:

Suz said...

Lol! If you want a good laugh try telling cayden his hair is red- he is QUITE adamant that his hair is brown. (Just like his dads.) :)

Collin Shaw said...

Um, didn't you get the memo that genetics are a liberal, devil science. Much like a round earth.

Eve said...

Yeah, I had a similar discussion with my MIL a few years ago. She was insisting that red hair was the most dominant gene. I asked her exactly what she thought dominant meant? I'm sure my two redheaded children have only reinforced her theory.

That is funny people think "red" is offensive. While it isn't very accurate, I don't find it offensive.

grandma blair said...

That is really funny, I for one Love your RED hair and am thrilled that I have so many RED Headed grandchildren

Regina said...

I love your red hair. Don't cover it up because someone forget to wear their warning label or idiot sticker. I'm sorry I'll be nice now.

Cindy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
red said...

When I went back to college after I had had Michael, one of my professors said "Oh yah I remember you. Didn't your hair used to be a lot brighter?" way to make me feel old ;) I know your hair is red and it will ALWAYS be brighter than mine.

Bbells said...

lets forget the red hair for a second and talk about the britney spears move in this picture?!?! is she sitting on your lap while driving?

i love red hair! it really is the coolest thing ever.

Michelle said...

We were parked watching fireworks in the rain :)

Mary Lou said...

What the hell - people are idiots! I love my red hair too and am proud and happy you have red hair Michelle, and super glad we have a red grandchild. I had four kids and didn't get one red-head. (Carter is in denial) We'll show them - long live the red-heads.

Le said...

I love that your MIL will swear in your comments.