Thursday, December 23, 2010

chex gooey party mix

This treat has always been my favorite Holiday treat. It started with my aunt making it for parties, then my mom started making it. I could always count on it at the Blair Christmas party (and sometimes 4th of July) and since we have lived away from family I've been lucky enough to get a little of it in a baggie in my Christmas packages. I don't want to sound ungrateful for the wonderful presents that my mom sent me this year, she was very generous, but my chex party mix was missing. Which meant only one thing.... I would have to make my own. Which is great because it's fresh but this recipe makes a decent amount and this stuff isn't for dieters.

Chex Gooey Party Mix
1/2 box of 18oz Corn Chex
1/2 box of 18 oz Golden Grahams
1 cup slivered almonds
2 cups shredded coconut
1 cup Karo
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 sticks of butter

Combined chex, golden grahams, almonds, and coconut in a large bowl and set aside.
Bring Karo, sugar and butter to a boil for 3 minutes pour over cereal mixture.
Mix and try not to burn your tongue from eating it as soon as it's mixed.

3 comments:

red said...

SHHHHHH....don't tell the others but Mom keeps some in a metal bin on the table at Christmas (in addition to the bags she gives us.) I ALWAYS sneak a giant bag full of it. And then take home the same amount as everyone else when we leave :) mmmm.......I can almost taste it now.

And I miss you

Anna said...

mmmmmmm so jealous. my favorite!!!

heidi said...

my mother in law makes this every year as well and gave me the recipe, but I did not make it this year for fear I would single handly eat the whole thing. Good stuff.