Friday, January 28, 2011

Labor Day in January

It has been a week since I delivered James. I've been wanting to write down the labor story as soon as I could, so I wouldn't forget anything like I did with Delilah's, but when you have a choice between sleep and blogging you choose sleep. Tonight though Delilah is in bed, Collin is holding James and I've had a nap. So... how about I share a little story with you? The story of how James came into this world. The gross graphic detailed one :) so those who don't want to read about my labor, you've just been warned.
January 19th 2011
8am:
Delilah and I were hanging out eating breakfast and watching sesame street. I was trying to decide if we should go to play group or not. If we went that would mean that I needed to dress Delilah, do her hair, put on her shoes and socks, and get myself somewhat dressed. That may not seem like a lot to do but at 38 weeks and 6 days pregnant it's exhausting just thinking about it. Mainly because Delilah doesn't do any of those things willingly. I had just decided we would go and started the painful process of getting Delilah ready when I got a phone call. It was my doctor's office. The nurse said that the doctor wanted me to come into the office today instead of tomorrow (when my next appointment was) to have my membranes stripped (it would be my 4th time having them stripped). I made a 12:30 appointment so I could go after play group.
We went to playgroup where I complained about how sick I was of being pregnant, and my doctor and how annoyed I was she wouldn't give me an induction date. It was a nice laid back playgroup and I'm happy we went. Delilah needed something other than cartoons and my sad attempts to play with her.
Noon:
Delilah went home with Holly, my friend who has twins (that love Delilah as much as Delilah loves them) so I could go to my appointment. I got there and found out that there were three of us super pregnant women that could go at any moment and she was stripping all 3 of us today. When she walked into the exam room I was in she said she was a woman on a mission, and I was having this baby soon. She stripped me and told me if she doesn't see me tonight at labor and delivery that I should come back in tomorrow to be stripped again. I made a mental thought that I for sure would be back in tomorrow.
1:30pm:
I went and picked up a few things from the store (just in case I did go into labor) then picked up D and went home. During D's nap I cleaned, did a little laundry, packed D's bag, and only half packed my bag. I really didn't want to get my hopes up that I was going to go into labor in case I didn't. I was getting really frustrated because what would take an unpregnant me 20 minutes to clean was taking me hours. I had to stop every few minutes to rest or catch my breath. I remember thinking that I was considerably lazy today even for a pregnant woman and bugged I couldn't move faster.
5:30pm:
Collin came home and we had some dinner. I guess I kept flinching through out dinner because Collin kept asking if I was sure I didn't want him to skip gymnastics with D and stay home. I assumed he was just trying to get out of gymnastics so he could do our taxes, I didn't think it had anything to do with me wincing every 5 minutes.They went to gymnastics and I didn't get very much done, I had to keep sitting down and catch my breath. Eventually I just turned on the TV and sat.
8:00pm:
When Collin and D came back home Collin bathed her and put her to bed and then joined me on the couch for some TV. After him asking if I was ok a few times I decided maybe I should see if my discomfort and breathlessness comes and goes in timed measures. So I got a piece of paper and my cell phone and started writing down the time every time I got winded and had a little discomfort/pain. After about a half hour my discomfort turned more into mild pain. I looked at my list of times and realized it was happening every 5 minutes. Then the thought came into my head "Oh, this might be labor".
I mentioned it to Collin and he got up and started getting dressed and trying to pack my bag. I told him we had TONS of time and that he didn't need to get ready right now. He was kind not to argue with me but just silently kept doing what he was doing. I on the other hand put another load of clothes in the washing machine.
10:00pm:
My contractions were not very consistent they would be every 2 minutes then every 10 minutes then every 5 minutes. I thought that this meant they were going away but I decided to call my doctor anyway. My Doctor told me to go to the hospital. So I called Holly and asked if we could bring D to her house, then I casually finished packing my bag, all the while Collin is quickly putting things in the car, and when I wasn't planning on leaving for another 20 minutes I turned around and there was Collin holding sleeping Delilah in his arms ready to go. We dropped D off and headed to the hospital. The entire time we were driving all I was thinking was "Don't send me home, Don't send me home".
Triage
11:00pm:
We arrived at Labor and Delivery triage where they checked me (3 and 70%) hooked me up to monitors. After monitoring me for a while with no progression the called my doctor and had me walk for a hour. The contractions were getting stronger and stronger and what felt like eternity was only really an hour. I went back to triage where they checked me again only to find out I hadn't changed. The nurse said usually in this situation they would send me home with an ambien and have me come back in the morning but she would call my doctor to see what she wanted to do. Luckily my doctor had just delivered a baby so she was at the hospital and said to have me admitted and she would break my water. Answer to prayers!!
1:50
Collin, a nurse, and I walk down the hallway to the delivery room where I am admitted. My contractions are getting stronger and we had to stop twice on our little walk down the hall. Before the nurse could even get my IV in my doctor came in and broke my water. INSTANTLY I started shaking followed by a HUGE contraction. The contraction caught me so off guard that I yelled. You know when you are trying to hold in a laugh and it only makes a louder sound because you are trying to hold it in, that's basically what my screams were like. I was embarrassed that I was screaming but the pain caught me completely off guard and I couldn't help but yell. All the while the nurse is trying to get the IV in and have another nurse call the anesthesiologist so I could get an epidural as soon as possible. At this point the contractions were right on top of each other and I started getting scared because I KNEW there was no way I would be able to hold still long enough to get an epidural. The nurse got my IV in and helped to remind me to breathe, I was still in the worst pain of my life but I was able to calm down enough to stop yelling. (To be honest, or to keep from being corrected by Collin I did yell a few more times but I was in a little more control).
The anesthesiologist showed up, he was a short Asian man who looked like he was wearing a
space helmet made of surgical paper. With D the anesthesiologist wore scrubs and a white coat so he looked a little over dressed to me. He was all business, Collin explained to him my past epidural experience (that I had the electrical shot down my leg and the upper half of my body was numbed instead of my lower) and he kinda brushed it off by saying sometimes that happens. Two nurses held me as I tried my hardest to fold in half and breathe away the pain at the same time while the anesthesiologist started. He was good, and he was fast and then it happened again, I got the shock down my leg. In between breathes I told him "I got shocked" the nurses immediately told me "it's normal", "don't worry about it keep breathing", but I knew he needed to know. He, in a hurried Drill Sargent tone, said very loudly "Which side?" Which I replied to with a very weak "Right". I felt him pull the catheter out and replace it in a different spot, and then I felt the drugs kick in.

2:50 am:
I thanked everyone and apologized for the tenth time for screaming and being so weak. I'm not sure why I felt I needed to apologize but I did, and everyone was very kind to me telling me how strong I was even though I felt like a complete idiot. About 5 minutes after the epidural and apologizing took place I told my nurse I felt a lot of pressure. She checked me and I was at 8 1/2 cm dilated. Remember a hour ago I was at a 3. About 5 minutes after she checked me again I told her I felt more pressure. She asked if I felt like I needed to push, but I didn't feel that yet so she didn't check me right then. Then about 2 minutes later I told her the pressure was pretty bad and I wanted to push. She checked me and I was 9 1/2 and ready to go. She called my doctor who luckily was still in the hospital. Collin said she had sleep marks on her face when she walked in. She seemed a bit surprised I was already ready to push. She casually checked for herself and just as casually looked at me and said "You can push if you want." So I did.
It seemed awkward and not the same as with Delilah, Delilah's felt more natural and I think because my epidural was so fresh I didn't feel exactly what I was doing. Then out of no where I got pressure not pain but pressure in my hip. It hurt like a Charley horse hurts. I lifted up my leg and straightened it trying to stretch away the pressure. Both the nurse and my doctor had a small freak out moment because I guess most women with an epidural can't support the weight of their own leg and they both thought I was going to fall off the table. I didn't fall but every time I did it both my nurse and doctor flinched and went to grab my leg. I would push then have to straighten my leg out because the pressure in my hip was unbearable.
After a while of me pushing and straightening my leg the doctor and nurse suggested I try to push through the hip pain. I gave it a good push and they said to stop pushing but I couldn't and baby James was born at 3:52 am. As soon as he was born my hip pain was gone and he had a bruise on his head suggesting he was the "pressure".

James gave a few good screams and then quietly looked around while they wiped him down and suctioned out his lungs. After about 20 minutes of stitching me up and taking care of him the nurses left us alone for about a hour to be alone and bond with our baby. It was nice, he was so alert and just looked around at us and then he ate for about 40 minutes. The nurse came in to check on us and to move us to my other room. I went to hand her James so she could do a few things and that's when I noticed my hand.
Remember how the nurse was hurrying to put my IV in while I was in heavy labor? She missed the vein and I had half a bag of fluid pumped into my arm. My forearm and hand now looked like Popeye. I just started laughing, it looked hilarious. The nurse seemed very annoyed at the earlier nurse for messing up my IV, but eventually laughed about it. It took about 3 days for the swelling to go down.
My wedding band is a little to big for me normally.
It is now a week after I delivered James and I am finally starting to feel better. My hip and tail bone got pretty beat up during delivery and I am now starting to be able to sit and walk with out wincing. I love that I can now lay down on my back and stomach and can actually hug Collin and Delilah again. I can see my toes and bend down to pick things up with out feeling like I'm going to fall over or throw up. Looking at my arms, hands, legs and feet now I am starting to realize that the last part of my pregnancy I was really swollen. I remember I kept looking at my legs thinking I don't think my legs are this fat but I didn't swell with Delilah so they must be. The last week I noticed I was retaining water but didn't realize just how much until now.
If asked which delivery was easier Delilah or James I would easily say Delilah's. James was faster but much more intense, Delilah's seems like a walk in the park now, but that could also be because it was almost 3 years ago. I'm happy that I did go to the hospital with my contractions instead of waiting for my water to break at home. I don't think I would have made it to the hospital and I'm not one of those women who want to have a baby in my bed.

8 comments:

Lauren and Carter said...

Sure had to google stripping membranes. I had no idea that was a procedure. :) I love reading birth stories, is that super weird? I'm sorry you got so beat up though, I didn't realize that. Glad he made it here safely - obviously, he is pretty dang cute.

red said...

Wow. Isn't it amazing how each one is different? I'm SO glad you didn't wait for your water to break. And I can't believe they sewed you up for 20 minutes. I'm so so sorry. But I'm so happy that you're no longer pregnant and you had those crazy experiences because you will never ever forget any of it. Love you and I'm so proud of you. (oh and you get points for not punching either the anesthesiologist or the nurse who screwed up your IV :)
And thanks for sharing the story. I love reading those.

Taylor {Sew Much Love} said...

Yay! I was waiting for this story! Thank goodness your doctor was so proactive huh?!?!

Blake and Erica said...

Awesome story! Sounds like you did a great job listening to your body when it was ready. I haven't ever had to be stripped before, is that a painful thing? Hope you are adjusting to a family of 4 :)

Eve said...

That IV hand makes me want to faint. That must've been so uncomfortable and ridiculous that your nurse had no idea she missed your vein.

Thanks for sharing your labor story, I love these!

Ginger Harvey said...

I loved your birth story! It's therapeutic to write it out, not to mention read someone else's. I posted mine on my blog if you want to read it. My first couple of posts were the birth stories of my boys, too. Sorry James was so harsh on you! Glad you're healing though!

What's On Chloe's Cupcake? said...

what is wrapped around him?

Michelle said...

@ Erica Yes stripping membranes is painful... very painful

@Chloe's cupcake he's just swaddled in a blanket