Wednesday, February 2, 2011

All good things must come to an end

The last few months I have been spoiled rotten. Collin has taken such good care of me when I was super pregnant and mean. He put on my socks, tied my shoes, made me food, put me to bed, pulled me out of bed, shaved my legs, went to the store after dark to get me much needed snacks, painted my toes (you won't meet another white person who can do a french pedicure as good as Collin). Once I came home from having James he let me sleep, made the meals, took care of Delilah, changed bums, got me snacks, did the dishes, cleaned, vacuumed and would even get ready for work in the dark so as not to wake me and baby J. He did all this while I did nothing.
Well my months of spoiling has come to an abrupt halt. Monday morning Collin kissed me goodbye and left for work. I heard him shut the door then I heard a scream (it was a manly scream). I grabbed my robe and ran to the front door to see Collin holding his arm in what looked like a LOT of pain.
He came inside and sat down where it became evident that he was in a HUGE amount of pain. He had me feel his shoulder to confirm what he thought had happened and indeed his shoulder was dislocated. I turned on the light to get a better look and noticed all the color had left his face and he was starting to shake. I covered him with a blanket and tried to figure out what to do. It was 7:30am and we knew I couldn't load all 4 of us in the car to take Collin to the ER. We tried our home teacher but he didn't answer, so we made the decision to call an ambulance. Two EMT's and a cop showed up to help us, all three of which almost fell in the exact same spot Collin did.
They cut Collin's coat off him, put his arm in a sling and took him away. Collin says he doesn't remember very much because he was in so much pain. Our Home teacher showed up while they were getting Collin ready to go. He said I could bring the kids to his house so I could go to the ER.
I bundled us all up (8degrees outside) and carefully crossed the icy patch everyone was slipping on, while holding D's hand and James car seat in the other hand. I dropped D off but decided to keep James with me because he still needed to eat. I got to the ER and found Collin. They gave him something they said was stronger than morphine but he was still in a good amount of pain. They took him for a X-ray then took him to another room so he could be put under conscious sedation and then have his arm put back into place. They said that he was under for about 3 minutes and it took 3 men and a sheet to put his arm back in socket. (one man pulling out on each arm, then a guy standing above him pulling up on the sheet wrapped around his bicep) Collin said as soon as he woke up his pain was gone.
He has to wear a sling for a while now. We won't know for how long until he meets with the orthopedic surgeon on Friday. We are really hoping there is no nerve damage and REALLY hoping he doesn't need surgery.
As for now I'm repaying Collin for all that spoiling he did by helping him tie his shoes and anything else he needs that requires two hands.
I didn't think it was appropriate to take pictures of him while he was being taken away in the ambulance or in the ER, I thought about it, but didn't. I'm pretty sure Collin would rather forget those moments. This is however a picture of the bruise he got from the IV, at least they got the vein though ;).
While I was waiting in the ER I called our apartment complex to tell them they needed to clean up that ice before we came back from the ER. The lady got all serious and filled out an insurance claim and told me that the head office would be contacting us (which they have). I told her I don't care about any of that right now, all I care about is that that ice is cleared away before I bring him home.
When we got home sure enough all the ice had been chipped away and our side walk may as well have been blue they put so much salt on it. In our apartment complex defense they have always been amazing at clearing the snow and salting most the time they salt twice a day. It was just so early in the morning they hadn't got to it yet.

8 comments:

Andrea said...

Oh you have got to be kidding me!! Thats awful! I hope that he doesn't have any lasting damage- just when you thought you were over the pregnancy hump.

Eve said...

That sounds so scary. I have a friend whose shoulder did that twice in front of me in high school. It was so horrible to watch helplessly while she was in so much pain. I hope it was an isolated incident and he doesn't need surgery. My friend and brother-in-law both had the surgery, but not until it had happened multiple times.

Diana said...

That sucks! Good luck with both of your recoveries. You guys are in our prayers!

Cindy said...

Oh, that is really too bad. I wish you both some good luck and hope you both recover quickly. Good luck! We'll keep you in our prayers :)

Le said...

Oh, poor Collin! Be ready to be surprised at the things that take two hands. Good luck!

red said...

Geez. Good luck both of you. Sorry about the ice. There's a good chance they will pay for your ER visit and ambulance ride. If they offer LET THEM. it's expensive, and they have insurance for that. so sorry. Glad you guys are there for each other, wish we were closer to help you. What did D. think of the ambulance?

Matt Linder said...

Glad to hear you had the wits to help him. I'm not sure I would have. Looks like that future career in wrestling is out...

Anna said...

ya that sucks. sucks. Sorry. :( Yeah for is mom coming to help! :)