Saturday, March 19, 2011

Ward Chili Cook Off

Collin was asked to organize the Ward Chili Cook Off two weeks before it was scheduled to happen. We didn't know if it had been done before or if this was a first time thing. So we just planned it as best we could and decided to do a Chili/Cornbread cook off.
There were requests to see the stuff I made for it so here they are.
This is the announcement I made to hand out and get everyone excited for it. I just googled chili cook off and found this image and photo shopped our information in so I can't really take credit for it.
Collin said their response was "Oh this is everyone's favorite activity! Last year over 250 people came. Why are you doing this... and we usually do this..."
This is something I can relate to. Growing up in Utah you know wards get comfortable in their activities and don't want them to change much. When I was made the Activity Chairperson in SC the Bishop told me to do whatever I wanted and not worry about what they had done in years past. Um... no. When you are the new ones in the ward the last thing you want to do is screw up peoples favorite activity.
So we adjusted our plans a little but did add some changes to it. I think that it turned out GREAT. Granted Collin didn't really have much help setting up and he was stressed out over it but he did an amazing job.
One of the big things we change was we had everyone vote on their favorite instead of having judges. Here is the ballot I made up for it.
The winners got an apron with this image on it. They seemed pretty proud of them. I think it would be fun to win a cooking contest, maybe next year I'll enter.
And just to throw this out there we got lucky when we went to the party store to get decorations. All the fiesta decorations were on clearance. Everything was $.50 to $2.50, we got all the decorations for 18 bucks!!

1 comment:

Lauren and Carter said...

That's awesome! I love the apron print, I'd be proud of that too. :)